Wacky Cake from The Viola Girl
"In my fairy-tale romance The Viola Girl, this special cake was served to Wren on her sixteenth birthday. I won't tell you who made it or who she was looking across the table at." - Sherri Schoenborn Murray
This easy recipe is a keeper.Makes one 9 x 13 pan
- • 1/4 cup cream cheese
- • 3 cups powdered sugar
- • 2 Tablespoons milk
- • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Mix with an electric beater. If you use this recipe for the frosting, it's best to refrigerate the cake, due to the cream cheese.
- 1. Preheat oven to 375' F.
- 2. In an ungreased 9 X 13 glass pan, sift the following:
- 3. 3 cups flour
- 4. 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 5. 2 cups sugar
- 6. 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 7. 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8. Make three holes in the center of the dry ingredients.
- 9. Put 3/4 cup melted butter in the center hole.
- 10. 2 teaspoons vanilla in one hole
- 11. 2 tablespoons vinegar in the last hole.
- 12. Pour 2 cups water over the top and stir with a fork, reaching into the corners, until the batter shows no traces of flour. This is why it’s nice to use the glass pan, so you can see every last drop.
- 13. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
- 13. Cool completely before frosting. See above for frosting recipe.
Serve with Cool Whip or ice cream. Great for sixteenth birthday parties!